Plasma broadsides - Lore-wise

Share your stories about the Gothic Sector and your battle reports.
CTCParadox

Re: Plasma broadsides - Lore-wise

Postby CTCParadox » 31 March 2016, 02:20

Blue/white is probably being saved for the Eldar starcannon plasma batteries.

TehWarsmith wrote:Would definitely be nice to see the plasma broadsides in action. I'd love for Swords to get their laser batteries, too. Perhaps yellow beams and plasma projectiles to keep the aesthetic consistent with the cannons, while at the same time differentiating them from Imperial lances visually.

The Overlord BC also has laser batteries rather than plasma macros in lore.

firaxin wrote:Makes more sense if you imagine them as plasma-propelled rather than conventional 'gunpowder' propulsion.

This makes the most sense given the description for the Armageddon BC (which is based on the Lunar-class cruiser) in the Armada book regarding boosting the range of the Lunar-class' weapon batteries (30cm to 45cm range upgrade).
"Power relays were re-routed from the ship's main plasma reactors to provide a substantial increase in efficiency for the existing weapon batteries".

Avlaen

Postby Avlaen » 31 March 2016, 04:59

HERO wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:I'm gonna guess the logic was that plasma is lighter thus could move further faster.

Not sure if that's how it works in space lol.

in space any macro cannon should have infinite range till it hits something but we have ahrd capped ranges so eh.

Einarial

Postby Einarial » 31 March 2016, 05:51

think of max ranges as max possible accurate effective firing distance?

It is a shame the projectiles aren't permanent though...

Imperator5
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Imperator5 » 31 March 2016, 06:15

CTCParadox wrote:Blue/white is probably being saved for the Eldar starcannon plasma batteries.

TehWarsmith wrote:Would definitely be nice to see the plasma broadsides in action. I'd love for Swords to get their laser batteries, too. Perhaps yellow beams and plasma projectiles to keep the aesthetic consistent with the cannons, while at the same time differentiating them from Imperial lances visually.

firaxin wrote:Makes more sense if you imagine them as plasma-propelled rather than conventional 'gunpowder' propulsion.

This makes the most sense given the description for the Armageddon BC (which is based on the Lunar-class cruiser) in the Armada book regarding boosting the range of the Lunar-class' weapon batteries (30cm to 45cm range upgrade).
"Power relays were re-routed from the ship's main plasma reactors to provide a substantial increase in efficiency for the existing weapon batteries".

Yeah, though they got shuriken batteries in CTT. No idea why.
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=621

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515 Mod idea.

HERO

Postby HERO » 31 March 2016, 06:25

Imperator5 wrote:
CTCParadox wrote:Blue/white is probably being saved for the Eldar starcannon plasma batteries.

Yeah, though they got shuriken batteries in CTT. No idea why.

Like I said many times, the designers didn't really have anyone that understood Eldar lore.

I mean shit, Pulsars are activated lol, and the Eldar's guns were not oversized Shurikens, they were more like upscaled Pulse Lasers or Star Cannons.

thewolfpack

Postby thewolfpack » 31 March 2016, 06:37

Ya, an other effect would be great!

CTCParadox

Postby CTCParadox » 31 March 2016, 06:43

HERO wrote:Like I said many times, the designers didn't really have anyone that understood Eldar lore.

I mean shit, Pulsars are activated lol, and the Eldar's guns were not oversized Shurikens, they were more like upscaled Pulse Lasers or Star Cannons.

Imperator5 wrote:Yeah, though they got shuriken batteries in CTT. No idea why.

LOL what? It says right in the core rulebook for the Aconite and Hellebore that they use laser batteries.

Then in Rogue Trader Battlefleet Kronus (where they got the Hellbringer from) it says :

Rogue Trader wrote:Macroweaponry
The Eldar disdain using shells and crude warheads on their starships, preferring elegant and deadly laser and plasma-based macrocannons. These potent weapons are devastatingly accurate.

p.s. I'm sure you guys already knew this I just want to rant.

Imperator5

Postby Imperator5 » 31 March 2016, 06:45

Yeah but back on the topic, Dawn of war games managed to give imperials blue plasma and still not confuse them with eldar or tau.

So it can be done here.

Please help me change skirmish to be customisable. Its very important for PVE players.

Lihkan

Postby Lihkan » 31 March 2016, 07:01

True, and its also canonical that Plasma don't have to be blue. (Mostly because blue plasma looks bad on blue Ultramarines, so they make it green)

Imperator5

Postby Imperator5 » 31 March 2016, 07:01

Lihkan wrote:True, and its also canonical that Plasma don't have to be blue. (Mostly because blue plasma looks bad on blue Ultramarines, so they make it green)

Actually, its blue most of the time in newer editions. Green was something that happened in older times.

I think the shift was because Graviton weapons (green) were introduced.

Return to “Stories and Lore”