Matchmacking

Share your ideas and suggestions for Battlefleet Gothic: Armada.
Colcut

Re: Matchmacking

Postby Colcut » 04 April 2016, 08:08

Lord451 wrote:I'm glad there's something here, but it's still ridiculously frustrating to play many game types against higher leveled opponents. An extra light cruiser doesn't make up for the difference between having 5 ships with 1 skill each versus 4 ships with with 3 skills, plus a favor, plus hardware improvements.

Because there's no accountability at all for ships simply being better than other ships with upgrades, battles will never be even when there's any difference. And almost anybody can tell you, especially in an RTS, small numbers of easier to control things are better than a horde of garbage.

This morning i beat a Battleship with 1 CR and 2 LC, my highest level was lvl 4 LC

Lord451

Postby Lord451 » 04 April 2016, 21:12

Colcut wrote:
Lord451 wrote:I'm glad there's something here, but it's still ridiculously frustrating to play many game types against higher leveled opponents. An extra light cruiser doesn't make up for the difference between having 5 ships with 1 skill each versus 4 ships with with 3 skills, plus a favor, plus hardware improvements.

Because there's no accountability at all for ships simply being better than other ships with upgrades, battles will never be even when there's any difference. And almost anybody can tell you, especially in an RTS, small numbers of easier to control things are better than a horde of garbage.

This morning i beat a Battleship with 1 CR and 2 LC, my highest level was lvl 4 LC

It happens. But the response to "the game doesn't provide a level playing field" shouldn't be "sometimes the guy on top doesn't know how to play and so the other guy wins sometimes."

If Starcraft II randomly awarded one player in the game an extra 500 minerals and vespene, the play could still definitely lose, but it wouldn't be a fair match at all and it doesn't promote good balanced gameplay. Right now the game is going down this path. Just because you can outplay a theoretically stronger opponent, or that player can make bad decisions doesn't inherently mean it's a good system.

Guamie

Postby Guamie » 11 April 2016, 06:08

Is there anyway to make the Elo value visible until it is fixed? I'd rather know if I should offer my opponent the chance to warp and turn away if he's 3 games in and I'm a maxed level 8 fleet... its not fun

TheWorldSmith

Postby TheWorldSmith » 11 April 2016, 19:36

Guamie wrote:Is there anyway to make the Elo value visible until it is fixed? I'd rather know if I should offer my opponent the chance to warp and turn away if he's 3 games in and I'm a maxed level 8 fleet... its not fun

Perhaps you could, indeed, make the admiral level visible for now? It's not fun to go up against somebody who's more powered than me, and likewise, it's not fun to go against somebody who's less powered than I am.
"Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand realize that you have no right to let them live!" - Exterminatus Extremis, M41

triumph

Postby triumph » 12 April 2016, 17:09

TheWorldSmith wrote:
Guamie wrote:Is there anyway to make the Elo value visible until it is fixed? I'd rather know if I should offer my opponent the chance to warp and turn away if he's 3 games in and I'm a maxed level 8 fleet... its not fun

Perhaps you could, indeed, make the admiral level visible for now? It's not fun to go up against somebody who's more powered than me, and likewise, it's not fun to go against somebody who's less powered than I am.

More powerful or just better / worse? The progression factor is probably the big fun killer aside from trouncing a first timer.

FarseerBill

Postby FarseerBill » 14 April 2016, 12:33

I've been thinking alot about this again this week as I was pushing up another admiral through level 5-6 which seem a lot worse when matched with a higher admiral. I think this is because the power differential between light cruisers and cruisers of a low level admiral and a high level admiral is a lot smaller than the power differential between the cruisers and BC of a mid level admiral and the BCs and battleships of a high level admiral, especially if the ships have a lot of upgrades.

I've come to the conclusion that 5% level extra points for each level difference is insufficient. Either have it being a sliding scale (e.g. 5% for one level difference, 10%/lvl for 2 level difference, 15%/level for 3 level difference, etc) AND/OR instead of giving more points to the lower admiral take away points from the higher level admiral. This will cut down on Battleships and elite battlecruiser duos against players who just got a single stock battlecruiser.

And yes, it would be nice to see the ELO or admiral level of opposing players so I can adjust my bloodthirst appropriately.

averageintelligence

Postby averageintelligence » 16 April 2016, 00:30

We need to have the ELO level be visible or it might as well not exist to us.

Please If you support custom game modes instead of randomized messes in skrims view this topic!
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=557&p=4969#p4969

Solash

Postby Solash » 16 April 2016, 04:30

As stated above its a joke unless you SHOW someone's level. And give the player a choice to QUIT the match if they are +2 levels or more higher. It's a fuqing joke otherwise.

BrianDavion

Postby BrianDavion » 16 April 2016, 04:44

Solash wrote:As stated above its a joke unless you SHOW someone's level. And give the player a choice to QUIT the match if they are +2 levels or more higher. It's a fuqing joke otherwise.

you can always ask them and conceed the match.

Oberendgegner

Postby Oberendgegner » 21 April 2016, 20:42

Well, so the game is released and the matchmaker is still a joke :(
I love this game, but the mm is a disgrace.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”