BFG Badly needs the Strategic Zoom Camera

Share your ideas and suggestions for Battlefleet Gothic: Armada.
Khorne on the Kob

BFG Badly needs the Strategic Zoom Camera

Postby Khorne on the Kob » 22 May 2016, 01:55

Battle Fleet Gothic requires a lot of Micro management, which means you need to have a general idea of where your ships are and what they are doing. The current camera is just too close, that it becomes another obstacle when managing your fleet. There is a feature that helps immensely when you have a lot to keep track of. The Strategic Zoom!

For those who don't know what that means, it is a camera where you can scroll out so far that you can see the entire map.
Here is a short video comparing a standard RTS camera and the Strategic Zoom camera:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWeekod30wQ

It's old so please excuse the low quality.

Why this isn't a feature of every RTS game after its introduction in Supreme Commander, I don't know. I would assume(and hope) that it is not too late to introduce the Strategic Zoom into Battle Fleet Gothic. The addition of such a camera will make multi tasking and micro management a lot easier, and more manageable; I strongly believe the game will be at least twice as much fun after its implementation.

PS: Thank you for making a Battle Fleet Gothic Game, and a thousand thanks for keeping it as close to the table top game as possible! There is no truer Warhammer 40K game!

TheWorldSmith

Re: BFG Badly needs the Strategic Zoom Camera

Postby TheWorldSmith » 23 May 2016, 16:18

I'm just going to swoop in for a second and clarify that the game isn't an RTS (Real-Time-Strategy) - It's an RTT (Real-Time-Tactics) with all of the differences that come with it.
"Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand realize that you have no right to let them live!" - Exterminatus Extremis, M41

Khorne on the Kob

Postby Khorne on the Kob » 25 May 2016, 03:17

TheWorldSmith wrote:I'm just going to swoop in for a second and clarify that the game isn't an RTS (Real-Time-Strategy) - It's an RTT (Real-Time-Tactics) with all of the differences that come with it.

Who cares, BFG still needs the strategic zoom. The Camera, at its furthest is simply too close up.

RedDevilCG

Postby RedDevilCG » 25 May 2016, 08:39

I'd also like a zoomed out, top-down camera mode.

Mr Morden

Postby Mr Morden » 25 May 2016, 13:00

Agreed - with the ability to tell a ship to move to any part of the map -either via this or the mini-map............
Imperial - Lady Lukara (8), Chaos - Abraxus (8), Eldar - Flower of Carnage (2) , Orks - Big Bazza (6), Wolve - Floki (6) :mrgreen:

Lord Baal

Postby Lord Baal » 25 May 2016, 15:22

TheWorldSmith wrote:I'm just going to swoop in for a second and clarify that the game isn't an RTS (Real-Time-Strategy) - It's an RTT (Real-Time-Tactics) with all of the differences that come with it.

There are in fact, really very few true RTS in the market, most of them are really tactics. Paradox tittles are what I consider the only real time strategy games. Hell even things like C&C, Starcraft and Age of Empires are more tactics than strategy. Sure you have base building and resource gathering, but that's all in the battlefield, on the front line, I'll hardly call that strategy, that's why most of those games devolve into click-fests.

Anyway, I also agree with a farther zoom. Although we do have the "TACTICAL COGIGATORS SIRE!" :lol: to help us when things are thick, this sorts of makes up for the lack of a better zoom out.
The Emperor is master of the galaxy, but the captain is master of his ship.
-Popular naval saying

Khorne on the Kob

Postby Khorne on the Kob » 26 May 2016, 01:58

TheWorldSmith wrote:Anyway, I also agree with a farther zoom. Although we do have the "TACTICAL COGIGATORS SIRE!" :lol: to help us when things are thick, this sorts of makes up for the lack of a better zoom out.

For sure it makes up for it, but doesn't replace it. I've also heard they will take out the cogitators for competitive play.
In any case, I do hope this feature gets considered by the developers.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”