Alt-tabbing causes stuttering, freezing, and crashing [SOLVED]

We'll help you troubleshoot issues with Battlefleet Gothic: Armada.
wintermote

Alt-tabbing causes stuttering, freezing, and crashing [SOLVED]

Postby wintermote » 29 April 2016, 04:15

[Solved]
Turns out the issue was being caused by an overlay program I use when I play Planetside; recursion tracker. I don't know or understand why recursion tracker would be doing anything to Battlefleet Gothic, but after testing several times to make sure, including alt-tabbing into and out of the game both with and without the overlay program running, I've been able to verify with a fair degree of certainty that it was the cause of the stuttering and freezing.

Steps to repeat:
1. Download Recursion Tracker
2. Run Recursion Tracker
3. Run Battlefleet Gothic through Steam
4. Try to play a skirmish match
5. Observe stuttering/freezing

To Fix:
1. Don't run Recursion Tracker while playing Battlefleet Gothic

[/Solved]

Title pretty much says it all; if I alt-tab out of the game, and then back in, I get stuttering and freezing issues. Typically after button clicks or key-presses. e.g. I click a UI button, and the game freezes/stutters for 1-2 seconds. Sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. I had a complete hang-up/crash at one point during a skirmish match as well. The game became completely unresponsive to button presses, instead of mostly unresponsive.

This stuttering issue then persists even if I close and relaunch the game. I'm not sure what exactly gets it to stop happening, aside from not playing the game for awhile.

Code: Select all

Operating System
   Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
   Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz   41 °C
   Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
   8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 686MHz (9-9-9-27)
Motherboard
   ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V LK (LGA1155)   29 °C
Graphics
   ASUS VS247 (1920x1080@60Hz)
   2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (ASUStek Computer Inc)   37 °C
Storage
   232GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB ATA Device (SSD)   32 °C
   111GB Samsung SSD 840 Series ATA Device (SSD)   32 °C
Audio
   High Definition Audio Device

On an unrelated note: I also have been completely unable to play multiplayer since purchasing the game.
Last edited by wintermote on 30 April 2016, 12:19, edited 9 times in total.

XViper

Re: Alt-tabbing causes stuttering, freezing, and crashing

Postby XViper » 29 April 2016, 04:25

I find setting the game to "Windowed - Fullscreen", helps eliminate any alt+tab issues.

This may not be suitable for your situation for a number of reasons, but I thought I would let you know anyway. :)

wintermote

Postby wintermote » 29 April 2016, 04:34

I tried your solution, unfortunately it does not work. The stuttering and freezing persists even in windowed mode.

I do want to reiterate that at other times I can still play the game completely fine, with no issues except being unable to connect to multiplayer. It's not a graphics problem; the issue continues even if everything is set to low.

I'm really not sure what causes it, except that every time it has happened, it's been after I alt-tabbed out of the game.

Unfortunately, when it does happen, the game becomes absolutely unplayable.

Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf
(Former) Technical Tester

Postby Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf » 29 April 2016, 06:13

Hm, I have a similar graphics card, though massively overclocked. THat is not the problem, I think. Did you participate in the beta?

Edit: Did you check your task manager for CPU and RAM usage after alt-tabbing? And how old is your graphics card driver?
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god is what started this mess in the first place..." Bjorn the Fell-Handed
Purging the bugs you'll never know!

Return to “Technical Support”