(Solved?) Windows Error - "BattleFleetGothic has stopped working"

We'll help you troubleshoot issues with Battlefleet Gothic: Armada.
Xca|iber

Re: Windows Error - "BattleFleetGothic has stopped working"

Postby Xca|iber » 27 June 2016, 16:32

Focus_Jolan wrote:
Xca|iber wrote:Okay, I've solved it on my end. Don't know if this is the same problem as Alexi though.

Turns out the conflict is with Spybot S&D as initially suggested, but NOT with the monitoring/exceptions in the program. I had to do a full uninstall + cleanup of the program to completely scrub it from my computer. It looks like something in the actual installation (not the security/monitoring piece) of Spybot is interfering with the ability of the game to reach out and communicate with your server, which in turn causes a memory access violation, triggering the ntdll.dll fault.

Now that I've solved it, I would suggest you put a disclaimer on the game that it is incompatible with Spybot S&D (requiring the program to be uninstalled, not just turned off).

Thanks for the help. Hopefully Alexi can get it solved on his end too.

Hi guys,

First, thank you very much Xca|iber for your investigations. We'll try to trigger the problem on our side with the soft.
Did you remember if you had particular settings on this soft? Or just quick install and run everyday?
Thank you.

Second, for others, can you confirm if you have this soft installed on your PC and try to totally uninstall it?

Thank you guys.

It was a standard installation and default settings plus the antivirus component (the paid/premium version). Just speculating here, but the issue might be with the live update feature of Spybot S&D+AV conflicting with the connection of BFGA.

Hope this helps!

GeckoOBac

Postby GeckoOBac » 27 June 2016, 18:28

Xca|iber wrote:
Focus_Jolan wrote:
Xca|iber wrote:Okay, I've solved it on my end. Don't know if this is the same problem as Alexi though.

Turns out the conflict is with Spybot S&D as initially suggested, but NOT with the monitoring/exceptions in the program. I had to do a full uninstall + cleanup of the program to completely scrub it from my computer. It looks like something in the actual installation (not the security/monitoring piece) of Spybot is interfering with the ability of the game to reach out and communicate with your server, which in turn causes a memory access violation, triggering the ntdll.dll fault.

Now that I've solved it, I would suggest you put a disclaimer on the game that it is incompatible with Spybot S&D (requiring the program to be uninstalled, not just turned off).

Thanks for the help. Hopefully Alexi can get it solved on his end too.

Hi guys,

First, thank you very much Xca|iber for your investigations. We'll try to trigger the problem on our side with the soft.
Did you remember if you had particular settings on this soft? Or just quick install and run everyday?
Thank you.

Second, for others, can you confirm if you have this soft installed on your PC and try to totally uninstall it?

Thank you guys.

It was a standard installation and default settings plus the antivirus component (the paid/premium version). Just speculating here, but the issue might be with the live update feature of Spybot S&D+AV conflicting with the connection of BFGA.

Hope this helps!

I don't have Spybot however, and it still doesn't work for me. I tried disabling both AV and Firewall and still nothing. I'll try to reinstall as well.

GeckoOBac

Postby GeckoOBac » 27 June 2016, 19:15

Removed, reinstalled, deactivated both firewall and AV, launched in administrator mode: still crashed exactly as before.

Xca|iber

Postby Xca|iber » 27 June 2016, 21:09

GeckoOBac wrote:Removed, reinstalled, deactivated both firewall and AV, launched in administrator mode: still crashed exactly as before.

Try running the game before reinstalling any software. Mine did not work with Spybot disabled - I had to fully uninstall and get a different AV program.

GeckoOBac

Postby GeckoOBac » 27 June 2016, 21:50

Xca|iber wrote:
GeckoOBac wrote:Removed, reinstalled, deactivated both firewall and AV, launched in administrator mode: still crashed exactly as before.

Try running the game before reinstalling any software. Mine did not work with Spybot disabled - I had to fully uninstall and get a different AV program.

Nope, I'm not going to uninstall my firewall and AV. Even disabling them was already a stretch.

Xca|iber

Postby Xca|iber » 27 June 2016, 23:15

GeckoOBac wrote:
Xca|iber wrote:

Nope, I'm not going to uninstall my firewall and AV. Even disabling them was already a stretch.

My suggestion would be to first install a different AV (I am using Avast now, for example), then uninstall the original one, then attempt to run the game. You can immediately change it back afterwards. This will let you determine if your AV is actually the problem, and makes it easier for the devs to find a workaround so you do not have to wait as long to be able to play on your current setup.

Alexi_Menser
Community Moderator

Postby Alexi_Menser » 16 July 2016, 07:48

So I did a thing...

On the loading screen I hit Alt + F4... Went to the main menu... Went to window mode...The game is working... I have made a Dark Angels fleet...

Literally that simple and the game worked like a charm.

I can finally play BFG again... I am so happy
Wit Beyond Measure Is Man's Greatest Treasure

Focus_Jolan
Focus Team

Re: (Solved?) Windows Error - "BattleFleetGothic has stopped working"

Postby Focus_Jolan » 18 July 2016, 08:23

Ok, that's really weird! :shock:
But, I'm really happy to hear that! :D

Enjoy it!
Jolan - Focus Team

Return to “Technical Support”