(Solved?) Windows Error - "BattleFleetGothic has stopped working"

We'll help you troubleshoot issues with Battlefleet Gothic: Armada.
Alexi_Menser
Community Moderator

Re: Windows Error - "BattleFleetGothic has stopped working"

Postby Alexi_Menser » 17 June 2016, 11:15

FocusTechSupport wrote:Please run System File Checker from Microsoft in order to examine and repair corrupt operating system files:
https://www.winhelp.us/troubleshooting-windows.html#sfc

No luck with this either :(
Wit Beyond Measure Is Man's Greatest Treasure

Xca|iber

Postby Xca|iber » 22 June 2016, 00:48

So, more information about this issue:

First a reminder... this issue does NOT seem to be a problem with Windows. I have done all the windows troubleshooting, including turning off my firewall and antivirus (yikes!) and it still does not function properly.

Anyway, the DLC came out today. I am an Early-Adopter and I saw that it downloaded the DLC correctly. My Steam library shows the Space Marines DLC is "installed" (checked).

HOWEVER, when I go into the game (still using my workaround, it will NOT launch normally without crashing), I CANNOT see the Space Marines faction under the "Skirmish" menu.

What I do see is the two new buttons at the bottom left of the screen, however clicking them DOES NOTHING. (Maybe this helps track down the problem?)

I am assuming that a connection to your MP server is required to "verify" my Early Adopter/DLC Installation status in order to unlock the Space Marine faction, which is a HUGE PROBLEM since I cannot load the game with a server connection!

I've gotten fairly annoyed at the apparent inability to solve (or even acknowledge) this problem. I have done everything you asked. It is NOT a Windows problem (I have tried on 2 PCs now, it is unlikely they are both broken in the same way - and I have seen others with different setups have this problem as well). Please just make me a patch or send me some files or something to unlock SMs on my account or get me a refund. This is ridiculous.

Focus_Jolan
Focus Team

Postby Focus_Jolan » 22 June 2016, 08:12

Xca|iber wrote:So, more information about this issue:

First a reminder... this issue does NOT seem to be a problem with Windows. I have done all the windows troubleshooting, including turning off my firewall and antivirus (yikes!) and it still does not function properly.

Anyway, the DLC came out today. I am an Early-Adopter and I saw that it downloaded the DLC correctly. My Steam library shows the Space Marines DLC is "installed" (checked).

HOWEVER, when I go into the game (still using my workaround, it will NOT launch normally without crashing), I CANNOT see the Space Marines faction under the "Skirmish" menu.

What I do see is the two new buttons at the bottom left of the screen, however clicking them DOES NOTHING. (Maybe this helps track down the problem?)

I am assuming that a connection to your MP server is required to "verify" my Early Adopter/DLC Installation status in order to unlock the Space Marine faction, which is a HUGE PROBLEM since I cannot load the game with a server connection!

I've gotten fairly annoyed at the apparent inability to solve (or even acknowledge) this problem. I have done everything you asked. It is NOT a Windows problem (I have tried on 2 PCs now, it is unlikely they are both broken in the same way - and I have seen others with different setups have this problem as well). Please just make me a patch or send me some files or something to unlock SMs on my account or get me a refund. This is ridiculous.

Hi,

Did you try to relaunch the game after your first try?
Yesterday, steam has some difficulties to update the status of every player about the DLC.

Thank you.
Jolan - Focus Team

Xca|iber

Postby Xca|iber » 22 June 2016, 13:53

Focus_Jolan wrote:
Xca|iber wrote:So, more information about this issue:

Hi,

Did you try to relaunch the game after your first try?
Yesterday, steam has some difficulties to update the status of every player about the DLC.

Thank you.

Yes, I have attempted to run the game 15+ times yesterday. I just ran it this morning too. (PLEASE NOTE: I am still forced to use my workaround or it crashes at loading or at the main menu).

I CANNOT see the Space Marines faction in the Skirmish or Custom Game menu (and I cannot connect to MP). As I said before, I think you have set a requirement that the DLC will not unlock until the game connects to your server. Since I have been totally unable to connect to your MP server after the ONE TIME it worked correctly way back at launch, it is not verifying my DLC. Please fix this!

P.S. Regarding the original thread's issue (e.g. crashing at startup) I am wondering... Do you have a limit on the # or type o characters in a player's account name? I am wondering if my problem is kind of like the issue people had with their Admiral Names (from a different thread). My Steam profile name has a | in it, and my acc name is 16 chars long. Maybe this is the problem?

EDIT:

After much further testing I have been able to produce (at random) the following (unreadable) error:

Which I believe says the following (from what I could interpret - ??? means I couldn't figure it out):

Failed to connect to the configured user and ports:|Can't match the user and port. http://bfg.???/??? httpSendRequest 1200?:The user name or address couldn't be reached.

Focus_Jolan
Focus Team

Postby Focus_Jolan » 23 June 2016, 09:36

Thank you for your reply.

I just try to change my steam name with some different symbol without issue.

Can you create a "full dump" of the crash when you launch it normally.
How to do:
- Launch the game.
- Wait the crash.
- When the pop-up appears didn't validate.
- Take a screen of the message.
- Open your task manager.
- Right clic on the Battlefleet process -> "Create Dump File".
- You could find the created dump here: C:\Users\PC Name\AppData\Local\Temp / It should has this name "BattleFleetGothic-Win64-Shipping.DMP".
- If it's not too heavy can you upload it in reply with the little dump created by the game and the screen please?
- If it's too heavy can you upload it on storage website and send us the link by mp please? And send us the little dump + screen in reply.

I'll reflate Tindalos on this issue to find a solution asap.

(You can find the little dump here: C:\Users\PC Name\AppData\Local\BattleFleetGothic\Saved\Logs)

Thank you very much and sorry again for the inconvenience.
Jolan - Focus Team

Focus_Jolan
Focus Team

Postby Focus_Jolan » 23 June 2016, 10:32

Hi guys,

We've found these several topic about the same issue:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6218-USFX-5568
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2669163
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Iux1H7gdQ
https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/864959809954530577/

It seems that it isn't only on BFGA.
So can you check these threads and reply us if works or not?

Thank you very much.
Jolan - Focus Team

Xca|iber

Postby Xca|iber » 23 June 2016, 15:54

Focus_Jolan wrote:Thank you for your reply.

I just try to change my steam name with some different symbol without issue.

Can you create a "full dump" of the crash when you launch it normally.
How to do:
- Launch the game.
- Wait the crash.
- When the pop-up appears didn't validate.
- Take a screen of the message.
- Open your task manager.
- Right clic on the Battlefleet process -> "Create Dump File".
- You could find the created dump here: C:\Users\PC Name\AppData\Local\Temp / It should has this name "BattleFleetGothic-Win64-Shipping.DMP".
- If it's not too heavy can you upload it in reply with the little dump created by the game and the screen please?
- If it's too heavy can you upload it on storage website and send us the link by mp please? And send us the little dump + screen in reply.

I'll reflate Tindalos on this issue to find a solution asap.

(You can find the little dump here: C:\Users\PC Name\AppData\Local\BattleFleetGothic\Saved\Logs)

Thank you very much and sorry again for the inconvenience.

I continue to remind you, there is NO dump file in AppData\Local\BattleFleetGothic\Saved\Logs, and there NEVER has been for any time the game has crashed like this.

The last time I sent you a full DMP file, you came back and told me that my problem was with CCleaner and Spybot S&D. This problem started happening before I ever installed CCleaner (You were the ones who told me to get it in the first place!), and I have tried running the game with Spybot totally disabled and it STILL crashes.

I will send you another one. But I urge you to look into the error that I posted in my EDIT above. I have copied it below:
Failed to connect to the configured user and ports:|Can't match the user and port. http://bfg.???/??? httpSendRequest 1200?:The user name or address couldn't be reached.

Focus_Jolan wrote:Hi guys,

We've found these several topic about the same issue:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6218-USFX-5568
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2669163
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Iux1H7gdQ
https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/864959809954530577/

It seems that it isn't only on BFGA.
So can you check these threads and reply us if works or not?

Thank you very much.

Maybe you posted this in the wrong thread? These are NO help at all.

The first link is NOT the same issue - my problem is crashing at loading/main menu, NOT the game failing to run at all.
The second link is old and is not possible to do - my PC cannot run programs in compatibility mode for XP. Running it in other compatibility modes does not do anything (I've tried them).
The third link is the same as the second link.
The fourth link doesn't have any suggested fixes.

Xca|iber

Postby Xca|iber » 24 June 2016, 15:39

Okay, I've solved it on my end. Don't know if this is the same problem as Alexi though.

Turns out the conflict is with Spybot S&D as initially suggested, but NOT with the monitoring/exceptions in the program. I had to do a full uninstall + cleanup of the program to completely scrub it from my computer. It looks like something in the actual installation (not the security/monitoring piece) of Spybot is interfering with the ability of the game to reach out and communicate with your server, which in turn causes a memory access violation, triggering the ntdll.dll fault.

Now that I've solved it, I would suggest you put a disclaimer on the game that it is incompatible with Spybot S&D (requiring the program to be uninstalled, not just turned off).

Thanks for the help. Hopefully Alexi can get it solved on his end too.

GeckoOBac

Postby GeckoOBac » 25 June 2016, 15:11

Hello,
I have the same problem stated in the OP. I tried everything that was suggested both here and on the steam support forum.

Nothing worked. This is the *only* game that has this kind of errors. Even very recent games don't give me any problem whatsoever.

I'd like to get it fixed because I really love the 40k universe, but I'm not hopeful given the length of this thread. I'll likely be forced to ask a refund through Steam. Prove me wrong, please! I sincerely hope you can fix this issue for me and others.

Focus_Jolan
Focus Team

Postby Focus_Jolan » 27 June 2016, 09:04

Xca|iber wrote:Okay, I've solved it on my end. Don't know if this is the same problem as Alexi though.

Turns out the conflict is with Spybot S&D as initially suggested, but NOT with the monitoring/exceptions in the program. I had to do a full uninstall + cleanup of the program to completely scrub it from my computer. It looks like something in the actual installation (not the security/monitoring piece) of Spybot is interfering with the ability of the game to reach out and communicate with your server, which in turn causes a memory access violation, triggering the ntdll.dll fault.

Now that I've solved it, I would suggest you put a disclaimer on the game that it is incompatible with Spybot S&D (requiring the program to be uninstalled, not just turned off).

Thanks for the help. Hopefully Alexi can get it solved on his end too.

Hi guys,

First, thank you very much Xca|iber for your investigations. We'll try to trigger the problem on our side with the soft.
Did you remember if you had particular settings on this soft? Or just quick install and run everyday?
Thank you.

Second, for others, can you confirm if you have this soft installed on your PC and try to totally uninstall it?

Thank you guys.
Jolan - Focus Team

Return to “Technical Support”