Space Marines Announcement & Screenshots!

The latest news and announcements for Battlefleet Gothic: Armada.
sjaugust1

Re: Space Marines Announcement & Screenshots!

Postby sjaugust1 » 15 June 2016, 16:28

Cryhavok wrote:
sjaugust1 wrote:In the interest of making sure things don't get too one sided. What can orks do better than the SM can? SM seem to have a lot of advantages for being the second close range brawler faction. What prevents them from replacing the ork faction in effectiveness?

Theoretically, judging from the tabletop: Point costs for ships in the fleet.

That's sounds like outside of a potential numbers advantage the orks just became obsolete.

Cryhavok

Postby Cryhavok » 15 June 2016, 16:56

I have my doubts that that is the way they will work it. They haven't messed a lot with the points since launch, and the Ork ships seem a tad bit expensive for what they do already.

That being said, some would argue that the orks became irrelevant already, at the latest patch.
Do you hear the voices too?!?

Azrael

Postby Azrael » 15 June 2016, 17:23

Kadaeux wrote:
Azrael wrote:
Scorch715 wrote: the Dark Angels...well I can't really think how being secretive about their past will translate ingame, but they're known to have larger numbers of Hunters, so maybe the same perk as the Imperial Navy favour?

I see the Dark Angels emphasizing Terminator strikes seeing as how they have an entire company of Terminators; something that is only seen in Unforgiven chapters.

Not only seen in Unforgiven chapters. It USED to be standard across all chapters. 1st Company was always the Terminator company.

But GW decided to add just basic vets to the lineup with Vanguard and Sternguard Veterans and suddenly that was no longer the case.

No, Deathwing is not what makes the Dark Angels special. Ravenwing is. Only the White Scars have something even remotely comparable to it.

Sorry, but this simply isn't true.

Since at least 3rd edition, the Dark Angels and their successors are the only chapters that have maintained an entire company of Terminators. Prior to Sternguard and Vanguard, the standard Codex chapters had access to "Veteran Marine Squads," which were marines taken from the First Company to fight in power armour. Dark Angels did not have access to this unit because their First Company Veterans only ever fought in Terminator armour. It wasn't until the 4th edition codex for the Dark Angels that they were given access to Veterans in power armour, and even then they are not members of the First Company. They are Company Veterans.

So where Dark Angels and the Unforgiven differ from the Codex is that they maintain a First Company that is comprised entirely of Terminators, and a Second Company that is comprised entirely of Bikes and Land Speeders.

I'm fairly certain that this distinction has been around since the Angels of Death book that was released in 2nd edition, but I can't know for sure. I didn't start playing until early 3rd.

Spartan-089

Postby Spartan-089 » 15 June 2016, 21:03

Cryhavok wrote:
That being said, some would argue that the orks became irrelevant already, at the latest patch.

This is pretty much true, as of now Imperials and Chaos can build better dedicated brawler fleets than Orks. The introduction of Space Marines will only worsen tbe gap unless changes are made. The only redeeming thing orks have are slighty* cheaper ships.
Kommando Blitza is da most kunning and savage ork there iz.

Orkz iz okay

Ironhide

Postby Ironhide » 15 June 2016, 21:57

Azrael wrote:
Kadaeux wrote:
Azrael wrote:I see the Dark Angels emphasizing Terminator strikes seeing as how they have an entire company of Terminators; something that is only seen in Unforgiven chapters.

Not only seen in Unforgiven chapters. It USED to be standard across all chapters. 1st Company was always the Terminator company.

But GW decided to add just basic vets to the lineup with Vanguard and Sternguard Veterans and suddenly that was no longer the case.

No, Deathwing is not what makes the Dark Angels special. Ravenwing is. Only the White Scars have something even remotely comparable to it.

Since at least 3rd edition, the Dark Angels and their successors are the only chapters that have maintained an entire company of Terminators. Prior to Sternguard and Vanguard, the standard Codex chapters had access to "Veteran Marine Squads," which were marines taken from the First Company to fight in power armour. Dark Angels did not have access to this unit because their First Company Veterans only ever fought in Terminator armour. It wasn't until the 4th edition codex for the Dark Angels that they were given access to Veterans in power armour, and even then they are not members of the First Company. They are Company Veterans.

So where Dark Angels and the Unforgiven differ from the Codex is that they maintain a First Company that is comprised entirely of Terminators, and a Second Company that is comprised entirely of Bikes and Land Speeders.

I'm fairly certain that this distinction has been around since the Angels of Death book that was released in 2nd edition, but I can't know for sure. I didn't start playing until early 3rd.

White Scars forces are entirely mounted or have transports. This has been in their lore since Rogue Trader. The Ravenwing has nothing comparable to a White Scars force.
In the absence of a good answer, "42" is always a good one.

Demoulius

Postby Demoulius » 16 June 2016, 01:29

WTB more space marine screenshots (and/or information) plox!

Kadaeux

Postby Kadaeux » 16 June 2016, 04:35

Ironhide wrote:White Scars forces are entirely mounted or have transports. This has been in their lore since Rogue Trader. The Ravenwing has nothing comparable to a White Scars force.

You do know that change "White Scars" to "Ravenwing" and nobody would know the difference right? The Ravenwing is entirely mounted.

Add on that your second qualifier "or have transports" is entirely silly because every Astartes squad has transports in every chapter. They are simply not always deployed. (Every chapter TO&E every shown has this.)

Azrael wrote:Sorry, but this simply isn't true.

Notice your qualifier?

Since at least 3rd edition, the Dark Angels and their successors are the only chapters that have maintained an entire company of Terminators.

I've been playing since the 2nd.

Azrael

Postby Azrael » 16 June 2016, 04:37

Ironhide wrote:
Azrael wrote:
Kadaeux wrote:

White Scars forces are entirely mounted or have transports. This has been in their lore since Rogue Trader. The Ravenwing has nothing comparable to a White Scars force.

In sheer numbers you are right, but there are still distinctions between White Scars and Ravenwing. White Scars focus on mounted combat, with an emphasis on bikes and Land Speeders, but they do still have units that fight on foot. They will have units mounted in Rhinos and Razorbacks, whereas the Ravenwing strictly only ever fights from bikes and Land Speeders.

Kadaeux

Postby Kadaeux » 16 June 2016, 04:38

Azrael wrote:In sheer numbers you are right, but there are still distinctions between White Scars and Ravenwing. White Scars focus on mounted combat, with an emphasis on bikes and Land Speeders, but they do still have units that fight on foot. They will have units mounted in Rhinos and Razorbacks, whereas the Ravenwing strictly only ever fights from bikes and Land Speeders.

Correct. But the White Scars still has, last I checked anyway, Companies that fight entirely mounted identically to Ravenwing.

Azrael

Postby Azrael » 16 June 2016, 04:44

Kadaeux wrote:
Since at least 3rd edition, the Dark Angels and their successors are the only chapters that have maintained an entire company of Terminators.

I've been playing since the 2nd.

So for the last 20 years, Dark Angels and their successors have been the only Chapters that have maintained a pure Terminator company.

Kadaeux wrote:Correct. But the White Scars still has, last I checked anyway, Companies that fight entirely mounted identically to Ravenwing.

I would assume so, but then again it is an entire chapter compared to a single company. It's like comparing a destroyer to a battleship. Both go in the water and shoot things, one just does it better.

That being said, rule wise in 40k I say Ravenwing are the better bikers. Although I may be biased...

Return to “News & Announcements”