Space Marines Announcement & Screenshots!

The latest news and announcements for Battlefleet Gothic: Armada.
Cryhavok

Re: Space Marines Announcement & Screenshots!

Postby Cryhavok » 14 June 2016, 17:16

Drakki wrote:However the Ultrasmurf's and Fists are already too much generic and even templars would be welcomed instead.

I would happily replace the Ultrasmurfs with Black Templars (or literally anything else).

If I were choosing the chapters they would be the most fleet based. I would include black templars and space wolves because they are some of the largest space marine groups, completely ignoring the codex's number restrictions. After that, Dark angels are appropriate due to not having a homeworld and actually being space based. Then for the other two I would pull in other chapters from the lore. Chapters like the Marine's Errant who's tactics and doctrine are all about Space Naval Warfare.
Do you hear the voices too?!?

Scorch715

Postby Scorch715 » 14 June 2016, 18:49

Cryhavok wrote:
Drakki wrote:However the Ultrasmurf's and Fists are already too much generic and even templars would be welcomed instead.

I would happily replace the Ultrasmurfs with Black Templars (or literally anything else).

If I were choosing the chapters they would be the most fleet based. I would include black templars and space wolves because they are some of the largest space marine groups, completely ignoring the codex's number restrictions. After that, Dark angels are appropriate due to not having a homeworld and actually being space based. Then for the other two I would pull in other chapters from the lore. Chapters like the Marine's Errant who's tactics and doctrine are all about Space Naval Warfare.

They were never going to pick lesser known chapters though, it was always safest and easiest to pick the best known chapters and satisfy more people. Plus, choosing all First Founding chapters like this makes differentiating their favours a lot easier than having two assault based chapters like templars and wolves.

The Ultramarines will offer some sort of tactical advantage, the Imperial Fists will probably be tanky or about heavy firepower, Blood Angels will get some speed or agility buffs, the Space Wolves will probably basically be Khorne, and the Dark Angels...well I can't really think how being secretive about their past will translate ingame, but they're known to have larger numbers of Hunters, so maybe the same perk as the Imperial Navy favour?

Cryhavok

Postby Cryhavok » 14 June 2016, 20:39

Scorch715 wrote: Dark Angels...well I can't really think how being secretive about their past will translate ingame, but they're known to have larger numbers of Hunters, so maybe the same perk as the Imperial Navy favour?

I was imagining something like the Tzeentch Favor, because every time I remember reading about them in naval combat, they use a lot of dirty and underhanded tricks to get the edge over their opponents.

Azrael

Postby Azrael » 15 June 2016, 04:36

Scorch715 wrote: the Dark Angels...well I can't really think how being secretive about their past will translate ingame, but they're known to have larger numbers of Hunters, so maybe the same perk as the Imperial Navy favour?

I see the Dark Angels emphasizing Terminator strikes seeing as how they have an entire company of Terminators; something that is only seen in Unforgiven chapters.

Kadaeux

Postby Kadaeux » 15 June 2016, 05:13

Azrael wrote:
Scorch715 wrote: the Dark Angels...well I can't really think how being secretive about their past will translate ingame, but they're known to have larger numbers of Hunters, so maybe the same perk as the Imperial Navy favour?

I see the Dark Angels emphasizing Terminator strikes seeing as how they have an entire company of Terminators; something that is only seen in Unforgiven chapters.

Not only seen in Unforgiven chapters. It USED to be standard across all chapters. 1st Company was always the Terminator company.

But GW decided to add just basic vets to the lineup with Vanguard and Sternguard Veterans and suddenly that was no longer the case.

No, Deathwing is not what makes the Dark Angels special. Ravenwing is. Only the White Scars have something even remotely comparable to it.

Cryhavok

Postby Cryhavok » 15 June 2016, 05:25

Kadaeux wrote:No, Deathwing is not what makes the Dark Angels special. Ravenwing is. Only the White Scars have something even remotely comparable to it.

To be even more accurate: It isn't the terminator armor that makes deathwing special it is knowledge of, and mission to hunt, the Fallen Angels. Without that they are just another 1st company. But those guys know secrets. Dangerous secrets.

I think there are several things unique about the Dark Angels, and the Ravenwing is just the most obvious. All of their uniqueness is linked to the Fallen Angels though. From the differences in their librarians and chaplains, to the purpose of the Deathwing and the Ravenwing. Even their interactions with other chapters and other groups in the Imperium government is governed by the fact that they have the Fallen as a dark secret. They will abandon any ally to hunt the fallen, and have done so many times before in the lore. Hunting the Fallen is what defines the chapter, and the Ravenwing is tasked with that hunt.

Kadaeux

Postby Kadaeux » 15 June 2016, 05:29

Cryhavok wrote:
Kadaeux wrote:No, Deathwing is not what makes the Dark Angels special. Ravenwing is. Only the White Scars have something even remotely comparable to it.

To be even more accurate: It isn't the terminator armor that makes deathwing special it is knowledge of, and mission to hunt, the Fallen Angels. Without that they are just another 1st company. But those guys know secrets. Dangerous secrets.

I think there are several things unique about the Dark Angels, and the Ravenwing is just the most obvious. All of their uniqueness is linked to the Fallen Angels though. From the differences in their librarians and chaplains, to the purpose of the Deathwing and the Ravenwing. Even their interactions with other chapters and other groups in the Imperium government is governed by the fact that they have the Fallen as a dark secret. They will abandon any ally to hunt the fallen, and have done so many times before in the lore. Hunting the Fallen is what defines the chapter, and the Ravenwing is tasked with that hunt.

This is all very true, but I was referring more to doctrinal layout of the Chapter from a tactical/strategic point.

Other than some unique equipment (And most chapters have their own of sorts) the Chapter layout is mostly identical.

The Dark Angels however have the Ravenwing 2nd Company which diverges greatly.
The Black Templars don't have a "Scout Company" instead blending the neophytes in with normal squads.
The Blood Angels have Death Company

etc.

From astartes combat doctrine, it's the Ravenwing that is unique ;)

Cryhavok

Postby Cryhavok » 15 June 2016, 05:52

Kadaeux wrote:This is all very true, but I was referring more to doctrinal layout of the Chapter from a tactical/strategic point.

Other than some unique equipment (And most chapters have their own of sorts) the Chapter layout is mostly identical.

The Dark Angels however have the Ravenwing 2nd Company which diverges greatly.
The Black Templars don't have a "Scout Company" instead blending the neophytes in with normal squads.
The Blood Angels have Death Company

etc.

From astartes combat doctrine, it's the Ravenwing that is unique ;)

Completely true. What I posted was meant to be an agreement that added more from a lore standpoint.

sjaugust1

Postby sjaugust1 » 15 June 2016, 15:37

In the interest of making sure things don't get too one sided. What can orks do better than the SM can? SM seem to have a lot of advantages for being the second close range brawler faction. What prevents them from replacing the ork faction in effectiveness?

Cryhavok

Postby Cryhavok » 15 June 2016, 16:01

sjaugust1 wrote:In the interest of making sure things don't get too one sided. What can orks do better than the SM can? SM seem to have a lot of advantages for being the second close range brawler faction. What prevents them from replacing the ork faction in effectiveness?

Theoretically, judging from the tabletop: Point costs for ships in the fleet.

Return to “News & Announcements”